Austin Youth River Watch is seeking applicants for the Executive Director position.
Applicants should send a cover letter and resume to: RiverWatchEDsearch@gmail.com by October 31, 2015.
Executive Director – Job Description
Austin Youth River Watch is seeking to fill the role of Executive Director (ED) with an experienced leader who shares our passion for empowering young people through hands-on environmental activities and our vision for long-term growth. Reporting to the board of directors, the ED will have overall strategic and operational responsibility for our staff, programs, expansion, and execution of our mission.
Leadership & Management
- Ensure ongoing programmatic excellence, program evaluation, and consistent quality of finance and administration, fundraising, communications and systems
- Ensure adequate funds are available for the organization to operate
- Engage and energize volunteers, board members, partnering organizations, funders, etc.
- Develop, maintain and support a strong board of directors
- Lead, develop and retain staff
Fundraising & Communications
- Expand revenue generating and fundraising activities to support existing program operations and regional expansion
- Refine all aspects of communications and brand recognition
Planning & New Business
- Design and implement plan for program expansion
- Build and maintain relationships with partner organizations, funders, and local community leaders
- Strong interest in helping Austin’s underserved youth and preserving the environment
- 5+ years of senior management experience with proven track record of leading and growing a non-profit, startup, or corporate organization
- Bachelor’s degree
- Excellence in organizational management with the ability to coach, manage, and develop teams, set and achieve strategic objectives, and manage a budget
- Strong marketing, public relations and fundraising experience
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills
- Resourceful, creative thinker
- Team-oriented, strong collaborator
- Promotes a proactive, entrepreneurial and innovative approach to planning
- 10+ years of senior management experience, with proven track record of leading and growing an organization
- Professional experience in the area of education, environmental science or youth development
- Extensive knowledge of non-profit operations and funding
- Master’s degree
- Grant-writing experience
- Fluent or advanced-level Spanish
403(b) retirement plan with 7.5% employer matching contribution
Work is performed in both internal and external environments and with exposure to inclement weather and varying temperatures. ED may be exposed to hazardous chemicals and is subject to standing, walking, sitting, bending, reaching, stooping, kneeling, crouching, and crawling. ED must be able to lift heavy objects (up to 50 pounds) such as boxes. May hike, drive, stand, or walk for extended periods. Position may involve driving, especially when substituting for program staff.
Austin Youth River Watch is an Equal Opportunity Employer. Qualified applicants are considered for employment without regard to age, race, color, religion, gender, national origin, sexual orientation, disability, or veteran status. If you need assistance or an accommodation during the application process because of a disability, it is available upon request. The organization is pleased to provide such assistance, and no applicant will be penalized as a result of such a request.
About Austin Youth River Watch
Founded in 1992, Austin Youth River Watch engages high school students in holistic, youth-development activities that focus on environmental stewardship and academic success. We provide a weekly after-school program in which students learn to test water quality in Austin’s waterways. The data they collect is submitted to the City of Austin and the Lower Colorado River Authority. Our students also learn to work in teams, interact with professionals in environmental fields, and participate in local restoration projects and overnight camping excursions.
Over the last few years, we have actively increased our programs, and going forward, we plan for aggressive growth. River Watch has been called “one of the most important nonprofits in Austin” and was a finalist for Nonprofit of the Year in 2014.
Please direct any questions about the position to: RiverWatchEDsearch@gmail.com.